The ultimate training day for the motivated ukulele enthusiast!
Maximum Ukulele™ is an unparalleled, 11 hour Super Workshop led by the most experienced and inspirational instructor in the ukulele world. For over 30 years, Peter Luongo directed the internationally acclaimed Langley Ukulele Ensemble, or “LUE, a touring phenomenon composed of high school students. After retiring from the district, he created “MaxUke,” a one-day program tailored for adults all ages, utilizing same ukulele and voice training techniques. MaxUke is also the portal into his other project, Luongo Ukulele Experience Ensemble, a performing group for adults inspired inspired to continue this multifaceted musical experience. READ MORE
Who Is MaxUke For?
• Players interested in becoming better performers.
• Teachers wanting to increase their repertoire of instructional techniques and strategies.
• Enthusiasts looking to enhance their musicianship and performance skills.
• Ensemble Members looking to continue training without the demands of the Ensemble program.
All players with intermediate skills are welcome.
When, Where, How Much?
Sept. 8 – Peppermill Resort Reno, NV
Oct. 20 – Carson Valley Inn, Minden NV
Nov. 10 – DoubleTree Sacramento, CA
8:30AM – 7:30PM Includes Lunch & Binder of materials
Returnees & Ensemble Members $50 off!
Previous MaxUke Attendees and ex or current Ensemble Members receive a $50 refund after registering. Just
(email after registering.
MAXIMUM UKULELE™ is the ultimate workshop for inspired ukulele lovers with intermediate skills. (See “What level of skills are required?” below.) It’s eleven hours of intensive ukulele and vocal training from the most experienced and inspirational instructor on the planet. Internationally renown ukulele director and teacher Peter Luongo draws from over 35 years of unsurpassed teaching and directing experience to extract the best of your inner musician.
Participants will be introduced to a variety of musical styles and musical arrangements ranging from jazz to pop to classical to traditional. Songs will be broken into sections with members of the group taking various parts. Skills will be introduced from within and outside the ukulele world, including flat picking, melody and harmony runs within scales and chord shapes, cross-string scales up and down the neck, rhythm instrumentation, multi-part vocals, rearranging on the fly, performing with and without printed music, voice improvement and monitoring techniques, and more. This mirrors the approach used when Peter directed the internationally acclaimed Langley Ukulele Ensemble and will provide musical insights for you and arrangements and techniques for you to take back to your own groups or solo pursuits.
Teachers (both community and school based) and ukulele group leaders will observe master-teaching techniques first hand which can then be employed with their own students and groups. Individual players will learn new techniques and practice methods that will enhance their abilities. And if you are so inspired, you will be given the track on which to qualify to join our performing ensemble.
You will achieve a greater understanding of the ukulele’s potential as a melody, harmony, and rhythm instrumentation. You will learn practical methods for utilizing the new techniques covered in class. Your experience of the ukulele will move beyond hum and strum into a new realm in which the uke becomes a serious musical instrument in your hands. Take your playing and singing to the max with Maximum Ukulele™!
Here’s a look at your day at MAXIMUM UKULELE™: Buckle Up, Start Your Engines…
8:30 a.m. Full Speed Ahead: You will immediately learn to perform a song sung and played in 4-part harmony, with the ability to perform it instrumentally and as a solo.
On your 2nd lap you will learn a second song and, in the process, be introduced to a part of the ukulele that many players never explore…the neck from the 5th to the 12th fret!
After a quick pit stop you will learn about the power of chords and apply this new found knowledge to learning another song.
By mid-day, you’ll have a new understanding of the versatility of the uke. Everyone will break for a catered group lunch.
After lunch, you’ll get back on track for an invigorating, motivating afternoon of more new songs, techniques, and unique, multi-part arrangements.
And did we mention singing? This is not just a ukulele experience! Peter also has decades of choral direction experience. He’ll extract your best singing voice and have you vocalizing your part within multi-part harmonies. By the end of the afternoon, you will have fully unleashed your inner musician!
Evening: You’re on your own for a dinnertime break and some independent practice time. You will reconvene for your final lap with your classmates and existing members of the LUE Ensemble*, who will give you their experiences, answer questions, and play your new material with you. Your Experience wraps up about 7:30 PM. You’ll have a whole new outlook on the motivating musical life that awaits you. *As a MaxUke Graduate, you are welcome to sit in on the Ensembles’ practice the following morning!
MAXIMUM UKULELE™ is unlike any other workshop. It is a rewarding personal and musical growth experience for all!
Let me add my thanks for the fantastic day with Peter Luongo. It was simply tremendous and I look forward to working with him again. Your organization of materials was superb. It was beyond my expectations in every way!
What level of skills are required?
All motivated players are welcome regardless of skill level, but this course is not designed for beginners. To get the most out of this intensive program, you should have a good grasp of several intermediate skills, including a strong sense of rhythm, some understanding of basic scales, and some idea as to where to find notes within the first five frets of the neck. MAXIMUM UKULELE™ is open to all motivated players who are eager to move beyond their current level, but the pace and complexity of instruction may exceed the capabilities of newer players and in order to get through the extensive curriculum, beginner questions cannot be addressed.
To further clarify this topic, the following skills are used in MAXIMUM UKULELE™, so becoming familiar with them in advance will greatly enhance your enjoyment and ability to follow along efficiently. These skills are requirements for Ensemble membership.
– Be able to play tight and rhythmic strumming patterns while maintaining tempo and singing vocal parts in tune.
– Know the I, IV, V7, & vi minor chords in the keys of C, F, & G.
– Be able to play basic bar chords (Bb, Bmin, D7, etc.)
– Be familiar with chord patterns and have some knowledge of alternate chord positions.
– Be able to play or be open to learning to play melody lines with a flat pick.
– Be able to play or quickly learn to play the C, F, and G major scales proficiently in first position and cross-string up the neck.
– Know the names of the notes of the lines and spaces on the treble staff and be able to find their location on the fretboard.
– Be able to learn to sight-read basic melody passages in notation, including the identification of whole, quarter, half, dotted half, dotted quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes.
– Be able to hear chord changes.
– Be able to echo sing passages with accurate pitch and rhythm.
– Have a basic understanding of musical terms and concepts, including sharps, flats, chromatic structure, key signatures, and the formation of scales and chords.
– Have a commitment to a polished performance and to “getting it right” through intense practice and rehearsal sessions, and independent practice between sessions.
– The playing of melody lines, including notes below traditional re-entrant tuning, is emphasized in LUE. Therefore, a tenor or concert sized ukulele strung with a low G (4th) string is highly recommended for MAXIMUM UKULELE™ and is mandatory for the Ensemble.
– Finally, unless physically unable, you should expect to occasionally perform while standing, therefore a strap may be helpful.
REGISTER NOW FOR THE NEXT MAXIMUM UKULELE™!
Reservations for Maximum Ukulele™ may be cancelled and refunded up through 30 days prior to any session without penalty. Within 30 days of the session’s initial date, through one week prior, cancellations will incur a 20% cancellation fee, as many fees with the venue are based on attendance reservations and are no longer refundable to us. No refunds will be made within 7 days of session.